| || |
Uncle Tucker's 1819 Brewhouse & Woodfired Pizza Cellar
The name 1819 Brewhouse came about because of the year that the original house was built by Jacob Hoblitzel, on land that was a grant to Colonel William Lamar after the Revolutionary War. Jacob Hoblitzel died shortly after building the home and Colonel William Lamar then moved into it. Colonel Lamar died in the late 1920s (either late 1927 or early in 1928) and a detailed assessment of his personal inventory can be seen in the foyer of the Brewhouse.
The building was also used as a field hospital during the Battle of Folcks Mill, August 1st and 2nd, 1864. Sketches by the soldiers who were patients during that period, can still be seen in the attic (not open to the public). After the Civil War the building fell into bad times. Sometime during the 1930s and early 40s it was used as a distribution center for printed material by a religious group. In the late 1940s George Fey purchased the property and made extensive changes. He demolished all of the outside buildings, including the barn, slave quarters and sheds. He changed the entrance location (which was facing Baltimore Pike, now Rt. 144) to face what is now Interstate 68, and he turned it into a beautiful home.
In 1955 George Fey added the present motels and named it Colonial Manor Motor Lodge. He and his wife conducted a very good motel operation for a number of years. After their death, their son Phil converted the basement into a bar which is the basic atmosphere that is still there today. Phil sold to the Gigliotti family in the late 1970s and they converted the main floor into an Italian Restaurant, The LOsteria. They operated the motel and restaurant until 1997 when it was purchased by Ed Mason.
The Ed Mason family made some major changes, adding woodfired pizza ovens in the Pizza Cellar and on the first floor area. They remodeled the food service areas, adding a Micro Brewery and renovated the main floor to look like an 1800s tavern.
There are four rooms in the 1819 Brewhouse featuring distinctive memorabilia. The Tap Room with beautiful stained glass windows from the old St. Peter & Pauls Monastery (demolished in the late 1900s). The brick, visible behind the bar and other areas of the four dining rooms, as well as that used for the outdoor patio, also came from the old monastery. The Old German Room has memorabilia from the Old German Brewery and the Old Export Brewery that operated in Cumberland. The Industrial Room features memorabilia from Cumberlands major industries, such as Kelly-Springfield, Westvaco, Celanese, Chessie Railroad, etc. The Presidents Room features a picture of President Lincoln and his cabinet discussing the Emancipation Proclamation which, ironically, was taken the same day as the Battle of Folcks Mill. Other photos feature past U.S. Presidents and Ed Mason, when he was a 2nd State Senator and Minority Head for the state of Maryland.
Ed Mason and family welcome you to dine with us and enjoy our pleasant atmosphere. Son, Scott Mason is president, operator and host. The woodfired pizza, pasta and excellent micro brews are something you will enjoy and remember a wonderful dining experience!
Uncle Tuckers Exit 46 on I-68 at Cumberland, MD